Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Abandon Kittens I Have Rescued

As far as I can count I have rescued 10 abandoned kittens over the past few years. Small kittens. Little mewling things. The first one I found wrapped up tight in plastic bag on the side of the road. I heard it crying when I went to take out the dog for his morning duties. That kitten died because my helper fed it spoiled milk.

Likewise the next two cats I recused were also found on the side of the road in a box and killed by the negligence of my helper. These two kittens I found when I was on my morning run. I ran home with them of course. It's not too difficult to run with a cardboard box but it's not so easy either.

The next two kittens I rescued were found in the middle of the road next to a cemetery on my morning run. This was Good Friday 2019.



Despite my best efforts one of the kittens died. I am not sure what was wrong with it but it stayed real thin and small no matter how much it was fed and did not make it. The other cat, the black and white one on the right, grew up just fine and even nursed on one of the dogs who had recently given birth but whose puppies were weaned. They became good friends.

Shortly after these kittens were rescued I found another kitten mewling in the darkness of an early morning while I was on my run. I took it home but sadly the Belgian ate it! Quite literally chomped it's face off. I was very upset at her. That dog suddenly died a few months later from ehrlichiosis.

A few weeks ago I was again out for a morning run when I heard the familiar mewling of a kitten.  I found her in the tall grass by the side of the road, picked her up, and carried her home.


This little calico I tried to get rid of but it did not happen. At the home I placed her the other cats attacked her. So she is stuck here but she likes it. She had made friends with all the dogs and she even had a male cat friend who was one of the kittens I rescued on Good Friday last year. But for some reason that cat disappeared recently. It's been two weeks and no sight of him.

On August 7th, I was out for an afternoon run and on the return route home I heard the familiar mewling.  Lo and behold in the tall grass on the side of the road I found a tiny kitten and ran home with him.


She was very tiny but had been eating and adjusted to life in the yard with the other dogs and cats. Sadly she did not grow and ended up dying.

Two weeks later I was out on a morning run and despite my ears being plugged with earphones I again heard the familiar cry of a kitten. But I decided to keep going and stop on the return. There were two kittens. I wrapped them both in a shirt that was in the middle of the road and ran back home with them.


These kittens are very healthy and will surely grow to be fine cats. They are inseparable sleeping, playing, and eating together.

On September 29th I woke up late because my alarm did not go off. At 4:45 I threw on my gear and began my morning run.  On the return route I heard the familiar mewing of a kitten and stopped to look for it. Much to my disgust this is what I found:



Someone tied a kitten inside a bag and tossed it on the side of the road amongst the sugarcane. I was unable to successfully flag down a tricycle to take home so I ran the final 2 miles trying my best to keep the kitten secure. She could not have been there more than 15 minutes as I did not hear her cries when I passed the area where I found her the first time.

Back at home she cleaned up pretty good. Underneath all that filth was a beautiful calico coat.



Here she is with two of the other cats.


It's impossible to say where these kittens have all come from. The first one I found tied up in a bag was certainly put there by a human and is an instance not just of abandonment but of unbridled cruelty. The others seem to have been either lost or abandoned. I have yet to find any abandoned puppies. So why all the kittens? I think Filipinos put a lesser value on cats than on dogs. While cats are good at catching all the vermin which run around at night dogs can alert their owners to the presence of burglars. In this country the protection of a dog, a fence, or both is essential. The protection of a cat? Not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment