It's your weekly compendium of foolishness and corruption in the Philippine government.
https://globalnation.inquirer.net/270166/batangas-mayor-cited-for-contempt-detained-upon-arrival-from-us |
Bauan, Batangas Mayor Ryanh Dolor, who was cited for contempt and ordered detained by a House panel for repeated absence in its hearings, is now detained at the lower chamber’s premises. He was apprehended shortly after arriving in the country from the United States early Thursday morning.
The House committee on public accounts issued the contempt order on March 17 during a hearing on alleged misuse of public funds and irregularities in the Bauan municipal government.
“House Sergeant-at-Arms retired police Major General Napoleon “Nap” C. Taas confirmed the detention of Bauan Mayor Ryanh Dolor, who was taken into custody upon arrival at NAIA Terminal 1 in Pasay City at around 12:08 a.m. on March 27,” the panel said in a statement on Thursday.
“The arrest was carried out between 12:08 a.m. and 12:20 a.m. by a joint team led by the Office of the House Sergeant-at-Arms, with coordination from the House of Representatives Liaison Officer, Airport Police, Criminal Investigation and Detection Office, and the Bureau of Immigration,” it added.
According to the panel, it issued three invitations, one show cause order, and a subpoena.
But during the last hearing, Dolor’s office only submitted a travel authority signed by Batangas Gov. Hermilando Mandanas, allowing him to travel to the United States from March 11 to 26, citing medical reasons.
But Bukidnon Rep. Jonathan Keith Flores earlier noted the lack of medical records to justify his absence.
The investigation stemmed from House Resolution 2148, which seeks to conduct a probe into the alleged misuse of public funds and irregularities in the Bauan local government’s dealings with Aquadata Inc., a water utility provider in the municipality.
Citing the Commission on Audit, the panel said the contract between the municipal government and Aquadata “allegedly lacked legal and financial basis, and the company failed to meet prequalification criteria.”
Bauan, Batangas Mayor Ryanh Dolor, who was cited for contempt and ordered detained by a House panel for repeated absence in its hearings, is now detained at the lower chamber’s premises.
https://www.abs-cbn.com/news/nation/2025/3/27/cop-who-shot-dead-van-driver-in-traffic-row-faces-murder-raps-0944 |
A Quezon City police officer who shot dead a van driver during a traffic altercation in Barangay Old Balara last week is now facing charges of murder, frustrated murder, violation of the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act and the Omnibus Election Code.
Police Maj. Don Don M Llapitan, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit, identified the officer as PEMS Randy Enano Tuzon, 48, a resident of Barangay Kaligayahan, Quezon City.
CIDU investigation revealed Ronnie Casero Borromeo, 42, along with Reynaldo Hagos, 51, were driving a Mitsubishi L300 along Tandang Sora Avenue at 6:30 p.m. last March 20 when they were nearly sideswiped by another L300 van driven by Tuzon.
Tuzon, who is assigned to the Batasan Police Station 6, alighted from his vehicle and had a heated argument with Borromeo and Hagos.
Borromeo then struck Tuzon with a steel pipe, causing the cop to shoot at the victims.
Borromeo sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was rushed to the Diliman Hospital where he died less than 2 hours later. Hagos, who was shot in the left hip and thigh, was rushed to East Avenue Medical Center to receive medical treatment.
Tuzon surrendered to the police immediately after the incident.
"The QCPD sympathizes with the bereaved families of the deceased victim and we wish the recovery of the victim who is currently in the hospital. We will ensure that the law is implemented fairly and impartially, especially when a police officer is involved in a crime," Police Col. Melecio Buslig, Jr., Quezon City Police District acting director, said.
A Quezon City police officer who shot dead a van driver during a traffic altercation in Barangay Old Balara last week is now facing charges of murder, frustrated murder, violation of the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act and the Omnibus Election Code.
The Sandiganbayan has affirmed the conviction of former Maguindanao governor Datu Sajid Islam Ampatuan for graft and malversation of public funds on the P393 million construction and rehabilitation of farm-to-market roads (FMRs) in 2009.
Ampatuan, who is currently the vice mayor of Shariff Saydona Mustapha town in Maguindanao, was convicted on Oct. 18, 2024 and sentenced to eight to 12 years imprisonment for graft with perpetual disqualification from holding public office, and reclusion perpetua for malversation of public funds.
He was also ordered to pay a fine of P393 million which was equivalent to the funds malversed.
He then filed a motion for reconsideration on Nov. 4, 2024, arguing that the testimonies of the alleged contractors should not have been given credence during trial.
Also, he said the anti-graft court did not consider the Certificates of Completion and Final Inspection Reports issued by the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR).
But the Sandiganbayan said that Ampatuan's arguments are not "compelling" enough to warrant a reversal of his conviction.
The court said it was not persuaded by the contention of Ampatuan that it overlooked the supposed Certificates of Completion and Final Inspection Reports issued by the DAR given the Special Audit Report of the Commission of Audit (COA), which found them "in poor condition, submerged in water, heavily vegetated."
"Plainly, the above mentioned ocular inspections showing the unserviceability and uselessness of the subject farm-to-market roads overshadowed the claim of the supposed certifications mentioned by movant-accused Ampatuan in his motion for reconsideration," it also said. .
It pointed out that Ampatuan's action caused undue injury to the government when he deliberately orchestrated fictitious payments to various contractors and suppliers for the infrastructure projects that were not implemented.
The contractors and suppliers were paid in cash secured through cash advances that were approved by Ampatuan itself, it said.
"All told, movant-accused Ampatuan utterly failed to raise any new and/or substantial matters," the court ruled.
The 10-page resolution was written by Associate Justice Bernelito R. Fernandez with the concurrence of Third Division Chairperson Associate Justice Karl B. Miranda and Associate Justice Ronald B. Moreno.
The Sandiganbayan has affirmed the conviction of former Maguindanao governor Datu Sajid Islam Ampatuan for graft and malversation of public funds on the P393 million construction and rehabilitation of farm-to-market roads (FMRs) in 2009.
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/2048283/dismissed-cebu-city-mayor-rama-faces-another-dismissal-from-service |
Dismissed City Mayor Michael Rama is facing another legal obstacle.
The Office of the Ombudsman has ordered another dismissal from service, Rama’s second in three months.
This time, the former mayor was found liable for awarding three purchase orders for garbage collection and disposal to three private firms without conducting a competitive bidding process.
The Inquirer tried to reach Rama for a statement but he had not responded.
But his wife, Malou, took to Facebook her sentiments regarding her husband’s second dismissal from the service, saying the setback was yet another tactic used by his political enemies to stop his reelection bid.
Rama, she added, would continue to campaign and run in the May 12 elections.
“Do not be worried about the recent development. That is just a tactic of our opponent,” Malou said in Cebuano.
“They want to destroy Mayor Mike Rama. But more people are instead drawn to Partido Barug Bag-ong Sugbo Team Rama. The fight continues,” she added.In an order dated Jan. 3, 2025 but was released only on March 28, the anti-graft office found sufficient basis to hold Rama liable for grave misconduct.
The order also applied to five former members of the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) — Leizl Jacobe Calamba, Lyndon Bernardo Jao Basan, Conrado Acha Ordesta III, Janeses Bordario Ponce, and Dominic Amigable Diño.
“Verily, because of respondents’ grave misconduct, ACM Hauling Services, Jomara Konstruckt Corp., and ARN Central Waste Management Inc. derived unwarranted benefit, advantage, or preference from the contracts awarded to them,” the anti-graft office said.
The decision was signed by Graft Investigation and Prosecution Officers Myra Nimfa Solidum Mendieta and Roseann Claudine Pasion, reviewed by Preliminary Investigation and Administrative Adjudication Director Nellie Boguen-Golez, and approved by Deputy Ombudsman Jose Balmeo Jr.
The case stemmed from a complaint filed by Jundel Bontuyan on Aug. 11, 2023, alleging that Rama and members of the BAC issued three purchase orders for garbage collection and disposal to Jomara Konstruckt Corp., ACM Hauling Services, and ARN Central Waste Management Inc.
According to the Ombudsman, misconduct is the transgression of some established and definite rule of action, a forbidden act, a dereliction of duty, willful in character, and implies wrongful intent and not mere error in judgment.
When the elements of corruption, clear intent to violate the law, or flagrant disregard of established rules are manifest, the public officer shall be liable for grave misconduct, it added.
“In this case, there is sufficient evidence to adequately conclude that the elements of corruption and flagrant disregard of established rules are manifest when respondents awarded the contracts to ACM Hauling Services, Jomara Konstruckt Corp., and ARN Central Waste Management Inc. …,” the Ombudsman said.
The recent Ombudsman decision was just the recent in the series of legal debacles being faced by Rama.
In May 2024, the Ombudsman ordered a six-month preventive suspension on Rama and seven other government officials of this capital city pending an investigation of their alleged failure to pay the salaries of at least four employees for seven months.
Rama started serving his six-month preventive suspension on May 10, 2024. Still, before he could fully serve it on Nov. 6, the Ombudsman issued another order on Oct. 3 dismissing him from the service for nepotism and grave misconduct for appointing his two brothers-in-law to government posts.
Rama’s dismissal order carried a perpetual disqualification from public service.
Five days after the Ombudsman’s order came out, the DILG installed Vice Mayor Raymond Alvin Garcia as the new mayor of Cebu City.
Rama went to the Supreme Court (SC) and challenged Commission on Elections (Comelec) Resolution No. 11044-A that mandated the cancellation of all Certificates of Candidacy of aspirants who have been slapped with a penalty of disqualification by the Ombudsman so he could seek reelection.
The SC en banc issued a temporary restraining order, stopping the Comelec from disqualifying Rama while the high court reviewed the case against him.
Cebu City Mayor Rama has been ordered dismissed again by the Ombudsman for awarding three purchase orders for garbage collection and disposal to three private firms without conducting a competitive bidding process.
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/2048321/retired-govt-worker-slain-in-cotabato-province-gun-attack |
A retired government worker of the National Grains Authority (now the National Food Authority) was killed in an ambush around 8 a.m. Sunday in Midsayap town, Cotabato province.
Sindatu Sangid Dilangalen, 76, a resident of Barangay Bual Norte in Midsayap town, a relative of the late Maguindanao House Rep. Didagen Dilangalen, just brought his wife to the Midsayap town proper on board a pickup vehicle.
He was heading home driving the same pickup when ambushed by two gunmen on a motorbike along the road in the town’s Zone 7, Barangay Poblacion 7, said Lieutenant Colonel Arniel Melocotones, Midsayap municipal police station chief.
Police responders rushed the victim to a hospital, but he died.
Crime scene investigators found empty shells for caliber .45 pistol at the ambush site.
Dilangalen reportedly lost control of his vehicle and fell off a rice field after being shot repeatedly by the suspects, who fled the crime scene.
Ernesto Gelay Jr., chair of Barangay Poblacion 7, said villagers heard several gunshots and saw the vehicle veering towards the rice paddies from the concrete barangay road.
Police are still investigating the motive of the attack, which came amid the implementation of the election gun ban in the country.
A retired government worker of the National Grains Authority (now the National Food Authority) was killed in an ambush around 8 a.m. Sunday in Midsayap town, Cotabato province.
https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/630697/dalaguete-mayor-several-town-execs-face-graft-case-at-ombudsman |
The mayor of Dalaguete, several government officials of the town and private contractors were charged before the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas for violation of Republic Act No. 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, malversation of public funds or property, and grave misconduct.
The National Bureau of Investigation-Central Visayas (NBI-7) asked the Ombudsman to investigate Dalaguete Mayor Ronald Allan Cesante, Municipal Engineer Expedizitas Lenares, James Osorio from the Municipal Engineering Office (MEO), Chief of Construction section of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)-7 2nd Engineering District Sergio Bendulo Jr. and Junior project engineer of DPWH-7 2nd Engineering District Juan Paulo Castillo.
The Ombudsman was also asked to investigate Socor Construction President Fortunato Sanchez Jr., Socor Construction Vice President Alfredo Lua, Socor Construction Treasurer Mylene Sanchez, Socor Construction Secretary Ida Sanchez and Angelica Marie Lua and Kim Sanchez, members of Socor Construction.
The filing of charges stemmed from the complaint of Engineer Ildebrando Almagro, a former employee of the municipal government.
Cesante, for his part and in previous social media posts, vehemently denied the allegations against him.
CDN Digital also contacted the mayor in his FB page to get his side of this issue but he had not yet replied.
As for Almagro, he had asked the NBI-7 to conduct an investigation over an alleged anomalous road concreting project on ML Quezon Street in Barangay Poblacion, Dalaguete.
The project worth P9.6 million was awarded to Socor Construction Corp. as the winning bidder.
However, instead of the private company doing the construction works, heavy equipment and manpower of the municipality were utilized to do the actual work although the company allegedly collected the proceeds of the construction project.
“After investigation, this office is convinced that the above cited laws were violated when Mayor Cesante and his cohorts from the LGU of Dalaguete, and further tolerated/cooperated by the Officers from the DPWH, performed an actual road repair/concreting with a contract amount of PHP9,650,000.00 along ML Quezon Street, Poblacion, Dalaguete, Cebu,” the NBI-7 said.
The NBI-7 added that the modus operandi of the officers of the LGU Dalaguete, was not new to them.
Last October 2024, the NBI-7 said that cases were also filed against Cesante and other municipal officials for constructing a multi-purpose building in Maloray, Dalaguete.
The building was supposed to be constructed by the winning bidder but job-order employees of the municipality were utilized to do the actual work.
The construction of the multi-purpose building became controversial when a worker died after falling while working on the beam of the structure.
The mayor of Dalaguete, several government officials of the town and private contractors were charged before the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas for violation of Republic Act No. 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, malversation of public funds or property, and grave misconduct.
A barangay chairman was shot dead in Barangay Paitan, this town, on Tuesday, April 1.
Police identified the victim as Rolando Fernandez Albino, 60, chairman of Barangay Paitan.
Investigation said the victim was driving a barangay patrol tricycle when a man wearing a black jacket and driving a Honda Click 125 motorcycle called his attention.
The victim stopped but was shot by the suspect with a caliber. 45 pistol.
The suspect fled and the victim was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead from multiple bullet wounds.
Police recovered fired .45 caliber cartridge cases in the crime scene.
Lawmen are conducting dragnet and checkpoint operations against the suspect.
A barangay chairman was shot dead in Barangay Paitan, this town, on Tuesday, April 1.
The police chief of Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte and three of his colleagues were relieved from their posts after a video of a lawman hurting a complainant at the police station over the weekend went viral online.
Ilocos Norte police chief Police Col. Frederick Obar ordered the relief of the four lawmen in a press conference on Tuesday.
Obar said they are now at the provincial police headquarters for further investigation.
He said they face administrative and criminal cases if found guilty during investigation.
Two individuals proceeded to the police station to report that they were assaulted in a wake on Sunday.
One of the police officers who had just arrived from conducting a checkpoint allegedly raised his voice at one of the complainants, triggering a commotion where the complainant was reportedly injured.
The police chief of Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte and three of his colleagues were relieved from their posts after a video of a lawman hurting a complainant at the police station over the weekend went viral online.A video of the incident went viral after it was posted online.
https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1247314 |
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced on Wednesday the arrest of some of its employees involved in payroll theft through the manipulation of the agency’s computerized payroll system.
In a statement, the MMDA said the scheme was perpetrated by personnel under its Payroll Division who illegally took small amounts from the salaries of target employees and diverted those amounts to their accounts.
“Immediately upon its discovery, a complaint was filed with no less than MMDA Chair Romando Artes as complainant,” it said.
MMDA General Manager Procopio Lipana has since led the arrest of employees involved in the scheme, and inquest proceedings were conducted.
As part of the investigation, it noted that a “deeper conspiracy was exposed” with the alleged involvement of more employees.
“Formal complaints against these employees are being prepared, and a strong case build-up is being done for the filing of non-bailable charges against the perpetrators. They were also placed under preventive suspension and their work computers were also secured,” it said.
In addition, the MMDA started an internal audit and investigation and placed safety measures to prevent similar incidents in the future.
“Rest assured that the MMDA will delve deeper into the matter and will make sure that all responsible will be prosecuted and punished accordingly,” it said.
The MMDA has yet to release the names of the suspects, and the investigation into the matter is ongoing.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority announced on Wednesday the arrest of some of its employees involved in payroll theft through the manipulation of the agency’s computerized payroll system.