Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Red Ribbon Cake

Dear readers this is my 1000th post. For this auspicious occasion I though I would do something special. For my 1000th post I figured I would publish what should have been one of my very first posts three years ago. This incident actually happened in December 2016.

In December 2016 two important missionaries from the USA were coming to visit along with the regular missionaries who visited monthly. These men were from the home office and wanted to check on all the work. It was my task to buy a cake for everyone to eat.  Naturally I went to Red Ribbon.



I was not sure how to spell the names of the two visitors and I wanted to do something a little special for them so I asked the saleslady if she could draw a tulip. The reason for this is that the missionaries were from the Protestant Reformed Church which is a Calvinist denomination. The acronym TULIP sums up the doctrines of Calvinism.  That would be Total depravity, Unconditional election, Limited atonement, Irresistible grace, and Perseverance of the saints.


Much to my surprise the saleslady had no idea what a tulip was so I sketched one real quick on my receipt.


To my amusement instead of using my hastily drawn sketch as a model she followed it to the tiniest detail including the little jagged edge on the right side. For some reason though she added lines to the leaves to make it more leafy looking.



The cake was fine.  A bit dry and spongy as usual. But everyone who saw this tulip along with my sketch had a good laugh. Three months later the missionaries visited for the last time but that had nothing to do with the cake of course.

1 comment:

  1. David, Don't feel bad about the tulip. I went int a Seattle's Best Coffee shop and was looking at the deserts they had on display. So I decided on the cherry cheese cake and told the gut behind the counter, "Sorry, we do not have cherry cheese cake" came his reply. I pointed at the cherry cheese cake and said that is cherry cheese cake. Well he picks up the cheery cheese cake just enough so there is no miscommunication, "Sir this is not cherry cheese cake, this is strawberry cheese cake."

    I went on to tell him that since we had a strawberry patch and a cherry tree in our yard back home I knew the difference between a cherry and a strawberry. You guessed it, he still kept insisting it was strawberry even after admitting he has never seen a cherry before. Even when a Filipino is wrong they are right. As for the pinay who's man died. Found out she was married to an American before, he died and his money disappeared.

    Then under the wallet video some pinay said she hoped she was telling the truth about the wallet because Mike told her some things about the Meriza. Looks like Meriza is something of a black widow.

    ReplyDelete