Tuesday, October 31, 2017

My Helper Killed My Kitten

A very sad day here at Philippinefails.

Two mornings ago during my morning run I found two lovely and abandoned kittens. So I scooped them up and ran home with them. They were a bit much to handle but luckily there was a cardboard box in the grass.  Even though it was wet it managed to stay in one piece until I arrived home.

Romulus and Remus
The kittens seemed healthy enough. They had no noticeable damage. I put them in a safe spot and gave them some milk. I entrusted their care to the helpers we have. There are plenty of dogs here and these kittens were driving them crazy.


All day today I had not heard any sounds from the kittens so I finally checked them at about 4:30pm.  They were no where to be found in the large area I put them in. Then I noticed a small area covered up.

Dramatic reenactment
That is the base and the floor of the animal carrier the kittens were in in the previous photo. I quickly removed these pieces and there were the kittens one of which was dead!

Dramatic reenactment
I was very angry and shouted myself hoarse. The kittens were placed there on purpose to protect them from the dogs while they were let loose to do their business in the yard and then they were forgotten about. The milk bowl was completely empty which means they had not been fed today.  I do not remember hearing them cry this morning which means likely they had been there since yesterday afternoon. 

The details don't matter.  What matters is that I entrusted these kittens to my helpers and now one of them is dead and the other is very weak, both eyes are closed instead of just the one, and it smells absolutely horrid and is likely to die soon. 

AND THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED!!

Years ago I found a kitten tied up in a bag!!! Only a heartless monster could do something so cruel. I took in this kitten and trusted it's feeding to my helper, a guy who is no longer with us, and he neglected the feeding, ended up feeding it rotten milk instead of making fresh milk, and it died. All because he was neglectful and did not wish to do the job I was paying him to do.

I want to keep things in perspective here. This is the Philippines. In the Philippines the average person does not care about dogs and cats. It's almost a guarantee that the kittens I found were abandoned by someone who did not want them. Truth be told my helpers care more about Facebook and Youtube than anything else. But generally speaking Filipinos do not care about animals. This observation was made 300 years ago and it still holds true even now. Everyday I see it confirmed. Today I know it for a fact in a very personal way.

26. They do not care for any domestic animal—dog, cat, horse, or cow.
http://www.philippinehistory.net/views/1720sanagustin.htm

2 comments:

  1. David,
    You have been in the Philippines long enough to know life is cheap and not to trust Filipinos.

    ReplyDelete