Wednesday, March 27, 2019

The Day I Met Bong Revilla

The day I met Bong Revilla started off like any other day. I woke up at 4 am, ran 5 miles, took out the dogs, and went through all the other morning rituals that mark the beginning of each day. The meeting with Bong Revilla would not be until after lunch so there was plenty of time for the excitement to build. This meeting had been planned for about three weeks and I was prepared though there was not much preparation to speak of. My goals in meeting Bong Revilla were two: have him sign his comic book to PF (no way would he sign it to Philippinefails) and ask him a question that has been consuming me for the past two years. 

As to the nature of the meeting I was quite in the dark. At one point I was told we might be having lunch with Bong Revilla. The we I refer to are my friends who are Bong Revilla supporters. Their house is filled with boxes of campaign materials: posters, t-shirts, comic books, flyers.


I was under the impression that as a thank you for working for his campaign Bong Revilla would meet with them when he stopped in town for an event. As I said lunch with Bong sounded exciting but it was not to be.

On the day of the meeting we were told the meeting would take place between 2 - 4 pm. One of my friends was in contact with Bong's secretary and she would call and tell us when he was on the way. We arrived at the hotel at around 4 pm and waited around until he showed up. Not many people were there. Just our group of five people and a few others who were having coffee in the dining area. One of the requirements to meet Bong Revilla, so I was told, was that I had to wear a campaign t-shirt. That was not something I wanted to do at all but I slipped it on anyway.

The secretary told us Bong was in a meeting with the mayor and would arrive shortly. He did not arrive until 4:50 pulling up in a large caravan. Bong was standing in the truck bed of the leading vehicle tossing out t-shirts to the few people who were outside. Then he got down and made his way to the hotel lobby.




He walked around shaking hands as people approached him. He took photos with people. We all walked over to him and shook his hand said hello and had a photo. Then he took a photo with the hotel staff.


After that it was as if the sea parted and everyone left. Bong was all alone. I was nudged and told, "He's free. Now's the time to ask your question." So, pen and comic book in hand, I approached him and said, "Excuse me." One of his cameramen said to Bong, "Hey boss!" and motioned toward me and then I had his full attention. I held out my comic book and asked if he would sign it.  "To PF," I said.


At this point I was shaky and nervous but as he was signing his autograph I asked my question. "Sir when you are elected Senator will you initiate an investigation into the Marawi siege in order to find out what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and to prevent it from happening again?"

He looked at me intently, nodded his head, and said, "Will do that." Then he walked away to mingle with a group of men one of whom I was told was a big donor.

And that's my meeting with Bong Revilla.  He went upstairs to freshen up and when he came back down to leave we approached him again this time to get his autograph on my t-shirt.


Much to my horror I saw that all my photos of Bong were awful. They were all blurry and out of focus so I attempted to get at least one good photo as he was leaving.


My impression of Bong Revilla is that he looks nothing like his campaign picture. On his poster he is light skinned and youthful looking. In person he is still youthful looking but he is dark, heavy set, and reminded me very much of Elvis Presley. He had a lot of swagger in his walk and was even carrying around a towel at one point. His voice is also deep. He was wearing a campaign t-shirt but his belt buckle was a skull and crossbones which is exactly the kind of flair Elvis might wear. 

Now as for the meeting itself I was very disappointed. As I said above I was under the impression that my friends were working for his campaign and as a thank you would get a personal meting with Bong. It turns out Bong Revilla had no idea who my friends were and no meeting was ever set up. The situation is a little complicated but the gist is they had been in touch with his son and it was his son that promised the meeting unbeknownst to Bong Revilla. 

As for the question I asked him...it was kind of pointless. I really thought we would get to meet and speak to him in an intimate and personal way not just shake hands in a hotel lobby. I certainly can't hold him to his word or even consider it a promise of any kind. He has likely forgotten me already. 

But I will never forget the day I met Bong Revilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment