Saturday, July 6, 2019

King Arthur in the Philippines

Boooksale is a great little used bookstore in most all the malls in the Philippines about which I have written previously. I love the place. I have found many good and rare books on its shelves. Over the past two years I have built up a lovely collection of books related to Arthurian legends.


Le Morte d'Arthur, Parsival, Myths and Legends of the British isles, The Once and Future King, Idylls of the King, The Story of King Arthur and his Knights

A few weeks ago I was browsing when all of a sudden I saw Thomas Mallory's Le Morte d'Arthur. I snatched it up real quick. It's a Norton critical edition with the complete Winchester manuscript and is in Middle English with no modern spelling. It cost P250 which is a phenomenal price being as the book retails for much more than that.

Of all these books The Once and Future King is the least uncommon. I have seen it in Booksale many times in several editions one of which was just the first section The Sword in the Stone and was a tie-in to the Disney animated film. But all the other books are not so common. Parsifal, Idylls of the King, those are kind of rare. Le Morte d'Arthur, especially in this edition, I would imagine is even rarer. What are the chances that any of these books would end up not just in the Philippines but in my hands in the Philippines?

If you are in need of an interesting and cheap book stop by the mall and head over to Booksale.

1 comment:

  1. Not at Booksale. I did buy some used imported books at Gaisano a few years back, hardcovers run about P99. Got home and opened one up to start reading and found it was signed by the author.

    ReplyDelete