Sunday, December 17, 2017

Cardboard Movie Display Graveyard

I went to see the new Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi, as soon as it came out. The first showing at 11:00 am on the 14th was pretty dead.  Not packed. No lines. The theatre was basically empty. This is how it has been the past few times I have been to a see a hyped movie of the season at the first showing. I remember seeing The first Hobbit movie and I think there were maybe five other people.

This is a good thing. It means no waiting in line, no rush, and I get the best seats in the house. For this showing I took along one of my helpers who killed the kittens I found back in October.  Turns out the first showing was in 3-D which I was not keen on but I asked my helper if he wanted to see the movie in 3-D and he said yes. So I bought the tickets. The price was only 600 pesos!  

600 pesos for two people for a 3-D movie! 

Elsewhere in the world it would cost much more. 

They also gave us a free small popcorn and soda.


I have never in my life been given a free popcorn and soda at the movies. Never. What a deal!


I did not notice until much later but the price in those tickets adds up to 460 pesos.  So why was I charged an extra 140 pesos? Was the popcorn really free or did the cashier sneak it in?


Yeah it was free. At their website I checked the price for a 3-D showing at 11:00 am and it was 640 pesos. 40 extra for ordering online!  So I have no idea what is going on here. There are some other strange things printed on that ticket like it was issued on March 24, 2014 and is valid until July 31, 2019. What!?

But I saw something much more interesting than the movie. (Consider that sentence my review.) 😛



It's a cardboard movie display graveyard!  

Why is the display for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children still out?  That movie is from last year! The Smurfs 2 is a 2013 movie which makes that display four years old! All the other displays are from summer 2017. How long will they be hanging around in the cardboard movie display graveyard?

I wonder if they would give these things away. But seeing as how the first showing of the new Star Wars film had maybe 10 people I don't think there are enough die hard movie fans to want any of these displays.

2 comments:

  1. Here's one you all will just love. Son is enrolled in a private school and there was a film preview at SM mall that everyone in grade 3 and above was required to watch. Some film made by Filipinos for the Western Visayas Film Festival. So we pay P200 for 2 tickets and day of the show get in line at 5:pm for seating at 5:30 and show starts at 6PM. At 5:30 I ask why they are not letting people in "The host is not here yet" was the reply. I told them the host should have been the first one here and they should let people in so they can sit down "We'll ask if that can be done" and off he goes. Upon returning he says the teachers have to hand out the tickets then people can go in. I reach into my shirt pocket and pull out our tickets as do others in the line. "Go on in and be seated" so off we go and little did we know this was merely the start of the nightmare.

    Son and I get our seats at 5:45 and watching the previews on the screen. At 6:45 the host finally shows up and "saves" us from watching the same previews we had been watching for an hour already. But it's time for speeches, the owner of the school, director, host all telling each other how great they are. The ass kissing is over at 7:15 when they say "Let's watch the movie" and the previews come back on. At 7:30 it's still the same previews when someone yelled out "Are you ever going to start the goddamn movie?" in a quiet theater, laughing breaks out.

    At7:45 it's still the same goddamn previews so told son's teacher we were leaving as already wasted P200 pesos and 2 hours and 45 minutes for a show that was to start at 6:00 PM and out we walked. Part of the film crew was standing outside and I did tell them how screwed up everything was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Filipinos cannot even do the simplistic things without screwing it up.

    ReplyDelete