Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Body of Christ at the Liquor Store

A few years ago I bought a bottle of sweet apple iced wine which was very tasty. I thought I would I see if it was still being sold.  It was. So I eagerly took a bottle home and put it in the fridge for a few days. 


When it was time to finally drink it I was in for a shock.

It was spoiled. Tasted like vinegar. The reason being that the cork had dried out and the wine had oxidised.

Dried Cork
I also have no idea how old this bottle is. It was fairly expensive and sitting on the top shelf behind the counter way out of anyones sight so it could have been sitting there for years. I can't imagine apple iced wine is in high demand in the Philippines.


Thankfully there was no hassle at all with returning the bottle.  They were even willing to give a cash refund which is something almost unheard of in this country. Instead we did an exchange. For one bottle of apple iced wine I got the following:


Aside from the wine and liquor being sold at the wine and liquor store there was another product which caught my eye.


Altar bread? Communion wafers? The Body of Christ? They are selling the Body of Christ at the liquor store!  Who is the intended customer? Who is going to buy this?  I suppose technically it's not really the Body of Christ since these are unconsecrated wafers but they are potentially the Body of Christ. Anyone can buy a bag of these cookies, lift one up, and say, "Hocus corpus meum est," and then you would have the Body of Christ. 

But then does that mean all that red wine they are selling is potentially the Blood of Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment