Saturday, December 2, 2017

Ordering A Pizza Proves How Broken Society Really Is In The Philippines

Ordering food in the Philippines provides more proof that society in this country is broken. No one is to be trusted in this country. Everyone is a potential thief. Here are some recent experiences with ordering food.

1. McDonald's

I called McDo to bring me a few orders of curly fries and sundaes. The thing is you have to tell them how much money you have so they can bring you exact change because the driver does not carry any.


It's not that it's such a hassle to tell them what kind of bills I have and how much change to bring. But why can't the driver just bring a few pesos for change? Are they scared he will get robbed or that he will steal it?  In other countries drivers carry change despite the risk of robbery so that's not a good excuse.

2. Shakey's

Enticed by their "Ber Bundle" ad I called to place an order. 


Only 990 pesos for all that food. Who wouldn't place an order? Can I use my credit card please? Why yes, sir, but we can't take your number over the phone so the driver will bring the terminal to you. Why can't you take my number over the phone? For your safety, sir.


Oh look there's the driver in the pouring rain with a credit card terminal. Unbelievable. I mean I really can't believe that there is such a great risk of giving out my credit card number over the phone. I have used my credit card to place orders over the phone and internet for years and have never ever had a problem with theft. If someone did steal my number I can rest assured the bank will immediately take care of the problem.

Here is Shakey's delivering for the second time.


Alright so third times the charm?  No.  When I called the third time to place an order I was told that their credit card machines are broken. No matter how much I reasoned with them they refused to take my number over the phone. Not even a manager, whom I assume would be the most trustworthy person there, would do it. They really are scared about fraud. I ordered anyway but had to pay in cash.

3. Greenwich

Hankering for some more pizza and saddened that Shakey's "Ber Bundle" deal was expired I decided to call Greenwich this time. Nice price but not great quality food. Same owners as Jollibee so maybe that explains it.  An hour later the driver pulls up.


Here he is with the machine.  But there's a problem!  It needs to be charged!


Even though it's plugged in this machine is not working. Thank goodness he brought two machines that weren't fully charged right??



Finally!  It works! The second machine that is.

This all reminds me of a quote from Karl Marx: "History repeats itself. The first time as a tragedy, the second time as a farce."  In this case the tragedy being that Filipinos are so untrustworthy I can't order with my credit card over the phone so the driver has to bring a credit card terminal and the farce being this guy bringing two credit card terminals which have no charge and can't be used!

5 comments:

  1. There are also the stores where they ring up a single item several times if you look away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty messed up that Filipinos expect to be defrauded. That's not an indicator of a healthy society.

      Delete
  2. If was not such a hassle and all supplies did not have to come from Manila I would advise the wife to open a Dairy Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there were Dairy Queens in the Philippines. There aren't any here but if there were I would go get a blizzard for sure.

      Delete
    2. There is a dairy queen in eastwood city. The blizzards there are top knotch.

      Delete