Thursday, May 3, 2018

The Noisy Garbage Truck

The most popular original video on the Philippinefails Youtube channel is a video of a garbage truck playing the song Lambada really loud.  I'm not sure why.  I'm also not sure why there is no blog post for this video either. 


Twice a week the garbage truck rolls through the neighbourhood blasting this song on repeat just to alert everyone to their presence. The entire time they are operational they blast this song. Apparently the whole fleet has access to only this one song because no matter what day of the week or what part of the city you are in, if you encounter a garbage truck they are playing this song at full volume!

People do leave their trash out but there are others who leave their trash out AND keep a burn pile. Why?  It's completely unnecessary to burn garbage. Just collect it and then they will take it. Pretty simple. They come twice a week. You cannot miss them when they drive by blaring this wretched song! 

When this truck comes around I put on my headphones and play brown noise at maximum volume. Just enough to drown out the Lambada which can be an very annoying ear worm.


Brown noise is bassy and deep unlike white noise which has a high pitch and is shriller.  I'm sure I won't go deaf. I haven't had any problems so far and it's only twice a week for maybe 15 minutes total. Probably less. Just long enough for them to pass by without my head getting infected from that song.

Using noise to mask noise is not my version of paradise but that's how it is in the Philippines. If there happens to be a very loud fiesta at night I forgo the brown noise for something more ethereal and relaxing.


Now if only there was some way to block out the nasty smoky air of everyone's leaf and garbage burn pile.

1 comment:

  1. Our garbage truck toots his air horn. Twice a week. We serve the guys cold water, snacks & soft drinks. In the 2 years I've lived here we've never burned... Anything! Our "neighbours burn shit daily, leaves, plastic, rubber... Anything at all. The air is a toxic mess every friggin day. They don't use the garage truck because it's too much work to keep the trash for more than a few minutes. I regret every day retiring to this country. Don't dare tell them to not burn. You can end up dead. Burning trash idiots.

    ReplyDelete