Sunday, May 13, 2018

What Liquor Ban?

Tomorrow is election day which means today starts the 48 hour ban on selling liquor.

https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/05/12/comelec-reminds-public-liquor-ban-starts-sunday/ 
Selling, furnishing, offering, buying, serving, or taking intoxicating liquor is prohibited, according to Comelec.
Now pardon my confusion but I just bought two half litter bottles of Red Horse tonight. I wandered around the store looking for what snack to buy when I saw two other guys buy a few bottles of flavoured Tanduay Ice so I tried my luck with the two bottles of Red Horse. I asked the saleslady about the ban and she must not have heard me because she only smiled and said nothing. 

Isn't beer an intoxicating liquor? Or do they mean rum, whisky, vodka, and gin? Isn't the point of the ban to stop intoxication because political debates around here tend to get rowdy and end with gunshots? Why wouldn't beer be included in this ban.  Or is it included and he store is in the wrong for selling it?

Today I saw what must be my favourite campaign poster.


Can you appreciate how epic it is? This candidate has transformed a simple barangay election into a contest between good and evil. "Evil triumph because good men do nothing." Ely M. Dela Llave must win. He is the good man fighting against the evil of crime, drugs, and corruption. See how he intensely stares back at the voter with his muscular arms and his no nonsense haircut? He knows the fate of the barangay is in your hands but he wants YOU to know that. He wants you to feel the heavy burden of your vote lying on your shoulders. He must win or else evil will triumph and you are the key. You have the power to make that happen. Together with your vote and his incumbency evil can be eradicated making way for a reign of peace and order. Not voting for this guy would be like giving the One Ring to Sauron. Unspeakable darkness and until horror would sweep across the land. 

What will you do?

1 comment:

  1. David,
    I know Filipinos cannot buy beer and such around election time. But not sure that applies to foreigners. I have had resorts refuse to sell drinks to Filipinos around elections but did sell to me. So I sit there and drink beer in front of the PNP watching the polls. The resorts told me they can serve foreigners because we are exempt from the ban because we cannot vote.

    ReplyDelete