Monday, November 27, 2017

Fake Honey? Maybe!

Usually there are some pretty tasty food stalls at the mall.  This one was pretty nice. The bag of coffee on the top shelf caught my eye and the saleslady pushed hard for the sale.  It's a blend of several coffees she said.  Arabica and robust.  Coffees from the region. She offered a sample which I gladly received.  It was way too hot to drink. She said coffee is supposed to be hot.  Yeah but not hot enough to burn your tongue.  This is supposed to be a drinkable sample.

The coffee they are selling was 150 pesos for 250 grams. That is just too expensive.  I buy Batangas ground coffee from the market at 200 pesos for a kilo. This can last a month or two.  The salesman told me their 250 gram bag of coffee will make 50 cups.  I don't know about that. I wasn't interested at all in buying their coffee.



I noticed they had honey for sale so naturally I asked about it. The saleslady said it was from the region. A friend of hers ships the honey to her in large containers and then she repackages it. I asked why there was no foam and was told that there is no foam because the honey is mature. Next I asked about green honey. She said they don't sell green honey but then she touted its benefits.

That was enough for me to know that this lady has no idea about honey.  I suppose my question was a bit devious because in the stall adjacent to her is "Wise Man's Food" which is selling fake regular honey and fake green honey. My question was a sly trick to garner her opinion on green honey which I am sure she knows is being sold in the stall right next to hers. Maybe she knows green honey is fake and does not want the saleslady in the next stall to hear her say that.  I doubt it.




It was not the saleslady who told me that the honey has no foam because it is mature. Her husband and partner told me that. Apparently this man is the Jarvis of Jarvis Gourmet Foods. Going off their Facebook page it appears as if he is the chef who creates all their food items.  So his food is real. He makes the food.  

But the honey is another story. Maybe not all honey has foam.  Maybe mature honey does not have foam. I don't know really. That sounds dubious to me and the internet isn't exactly helpful with confirming this information. What I do know is that this lady's friend shipping her honey in large containers to be repackaged and which looks suspiciously like syrup and not honey at all does not sit well with me. The fact of her touting the health benefits of fake green honey shows she has not the slightest clue of what she is talking about when it comes to honey. Go ahead and ask a "dog breeder" about princess type shih tzus and you will get the same response as this lady gave me about green honey: the highest praise for something which does not exist. In the Philippines so-called experts are duped all the time and, either wittingly or unwittingly, they pass on the wrong information to their customers. I would not be surprised if these two have been duped by their friend into believing this fake honey is real.

I could be wrong of course but this is the Philippines and there's always a scam right around the next door.

However, their bread and spinach cheese spread was quite delicious!

1 comment: